How to Purchase LangLab PASSPORT
LangLab PASSPORT is now offered with two different licensing systems, by number of seats--computers in a lab or classroom on which the software is installed, including laptops on a cart--or a site license priced according to the maximum number of users (students enrolled in courses using it, not concurrent users). Normally, institutions license the full suite of modules, including the Let'sT@lk modules for pair and group work. E-LangLab is willing, however, to grant licenses for a basic module set--Client, Monitor, Teacher, and Admin--without the modules for pair and group work. Institutions short on funds can begin with a minimal installation corresponding to immediate needs, and as their resources and needs expand, they can extend their licenses to cover the remaining modules, and either license additional seats or expand the number of users covered under a site license.
- Per-seat licensing
A minimum purchase is for ten seats. Prices charged take into account prevailing general price levels in the country in question. Computers licensed for use in the lab or classroom receive permanent licenses. In addition, the purchase entitles the client to batches of temporary licenses for use on computers outside the lab or classroom. A batch consists of 25 temporary licenses per permanently-licensed seat. Temporary licenses are good for an academic period (quarter, semester, or year), and the institution tells E-LangLab when each batch should end and the next batch should begin. E.g., a client entitled to 625 temporary licenses following a purchase of 25 permanent licenses for lab seats always has a batch of 625 available.
These temporary licenses allow teachers to create lessons or retrieve and evaluate students' work using a computer in an office or even a home computer, connected to the institution's server via the Internet. Teachers can also have students do homework using LangLab PASSPORT on a home computer, again connecting (automatically) to the institution's server using a secure connection with authentication.
- Site licensing by total numbers of users (students and faculty).
A minimum purchase is for 100 users. Again, prices take into account prevailing general price levels in the country in question. In this system it does not matter where users are working. They can be using any computer that has the software installed on it, whether in a lab or classroom, a library, or at home. They simply have to be on the roster for a course. Whenever a course roster is modified, LangLab PASSPORT examines all rosters and checks the total number of users against the total authorized. (Students enrolled in more than one course are only counted once.) With this licensing system, there is no distinction between permanent licenses and temporary licenses, because all licenses are in a sense temporary, valid only as long as the user is on an institution's list of current authorized users.
To inquire about current prices:
E-mail email@example.com, telling us the name of your institution and where it is, which licensing system you are interested in and which modules, and the number of seats or total users for which you would be interested in obtaining licenses. Tell us, too, whether you are interested in purchasing GenevaLogic's Vision software for classroom control along with LangLab PASSPORT.
In the U.K., India, and Nigeria, LangLab is distributed by partners of E-LangLab, LLC who can quote current prices, who can also provide help with installation and training, and who are the first line of technical support. (Institutions in those countries can, however, deal directly with E-LangLab, LLC.)
Installation and training
Clients in North America can pay an additional charge for on-site help with installation and, if necessary, on-site training. E-LangLab will quote prices for these services according to the nature and extent of the extra help desired.
LangLab PASSPORT is a client-server application: computers students use get lesson files from a server automatically, and students' work is automatically stored on the server. If your institution doesn't have the technology expertise to set up and maintain the server, we can arrange for your lesson materials to reside on our server. Even if your computers are distant from our server, there will be virtually no noticeable delay in retrieving files. There is a modest annual charge for this hosting service.
Once you've tried the demo version, it's easy to purchase LangLab PASSPORT. Here is how it works:
- You tell us exactly what you want to buy, and we send you our license agreement and an invoice.
- You pay by check (a bank cashier's check for foreign institutions) or wire transfer, and when the funds are in our account, we set up our database to authorize licenses for what you have purchased: either a site license for a certain maximum number of users, or permanent licenses for a certain number of lab seats and the corresponding number of temporary licenses. We record in our database which modules are covered by licenses granted. (E-LangLab may, at its discretion, grant licenses upon receipt of a domestic institution's purchase order.)
- We-mail you a client identification number and password for your site license or permanent licenses. With the per-seat licensing system, you receive one client number and password for the permanently-licensed computers and another set when you're ready for temporary licenses. At the college/university level, where students may be enrolled in a language course for a quarter or semester, it's usually best to provide one client number and password enabling faculty to retrieve year-long temporary licenses, and another set enabling students to receive temporary licenses for the quarter or semester.
- We can simplify installation for you by providing a customized installer for client machines (computers in a lab as well as computers outside, even home computers of faculty and students) that puts in place a file enabling them to connect to your server; you just need to tell us what the path to course folders on the server is, so that we can provide the proper file.
- For permanently-licensed computers in a lab that are going to be imaged regularly (i.e., have their disks erased, with a standard installation restored to each), we can provide an encrypted license file with licenses for all of them, which can be included in the standard image. (You send us the hostnames of the computers; we send you back the file.)
Using client numbers and passwords to obtain licenses
If you don't have us send you a customized installer, you can set everything up as soon as you receive your client number and password. Directions are in the Administrator's Reference document accessible with even the demo version of LangLab PASSPORT.